Saturday 7 February 2015

GLASSES

I have worn glasses from around the age of 10, which is getting on to be half of my life! (*has panic attack*) And never really questioned the fact that other people do not need glasses or even contact lenses to see clearly. In my family it is somewhat common to wear glasses as at least 12 out of the 28 members, wear them.
But I had a thought a while ago:

" Some people can see without any kind of assistance "


Have you ever had a thought that makes you evaluate your existence? 


This was one of those thoughts for me. The fact that someone does not need a frame on their face or a tiny piece of Hydrogels on top of their eyeballs hit me very hard. 

It just seems like sight is the most taken-for-granted sense! Or it is to me because I've not really had enough of it. 


I've gotten so used to wearing glasses that I can't stand the sight of myself without my frames! Its one of my very large home comforts and people rarely see me without them on! Even so I would trade my frames for 'perfect' eyes in a heart beat.

Something else that I don't quite get is why glasses aren't free. I mean, I didn't choose to have poor eyesight. Surely I shouldn't have to fork out anywhere between £50 to £100 every year because my proscription changes. Maybe I'll add that to my list of policies for when I run for Prime Minister (yeah right).


Natasha